Skip to main content

Welcome to Masquerade

The week of June 3, the White Wolf Game Director came to Blizzard Diablo 3 for the 1.09 release.  The significance of this event to me and to this Blog is the relationship to Fantasy and Role Play.  Hidden within the missing years was my Gaming.  I started playing Diablo, a Role Playing Game (RPG) actively on Battle.net in 1997.   That same year, I was introduced to White Wolf Games, specifically Table Top Games. It was at a Table Top Game with new Friends that I discovered LARP – Live Action Role Play.
Masquerade was based strictly on Table Top adapted to Live Action, and it was Costume Play.
I started LARPing in the Spring of 1997, playing White Wolf Masquerade in Pasadena City Hall, Cal Tech and Lake Avenue. Within a few months I had established a routine of playing Diablo in LAN Parties and on Battle.net during the Weekdays, and LARPing on the Weekends. 

We built complex story lines of intrigue based within the parameters of the White Wolf Gaming Series, and acted them out, with real fight scenes where the outcome was based on a 12-sided dice.  Later, after we had lost more dice than we cared to admit, we used Rock-Paper-Scissors.  The most significant part of the Game Play was that nothing could be recorded or documented until the Scenario had played it’s course. Most of the time, the Scenarios concluded during the Game, and we would spend an hour or two documenting the Game Play in an effort to tee-up the next Weekend’s Scenarios. Sometimes we would spend the time at the end of Game Play making for a late night. Other times we would meet at a local coffee shop to document the previous Weekend’s Scenarios.  But quite often we would run 2 or 3 Games before we could write out the Sequencing. This inevitably resulted in 3 or 4 months of each Player secretly keeping track of the Game without a single written word. As a result, mentally recording the Strategies, the Players and the Outcome became paramount to successfully Playing the Game.

When Don Stovner revealed his Strategy Change in June 2009, despite the first attempt in January, my Gamer woke up. I remembered the Hallway. And I quietly slipped into character, playing The Game.  I created my Character, calculating the appropriate responses and actions based on inputs from Don.  It was definitely a challenge because I had never created a Character “on the fly” and I had never given any of my Characters the attributes of “victim”.  All of my Characters had been fairly Dominant, and in Control. This character would not only be completely new to me, but she would also embody characteristics which were foreign to my natural personality.

He sat across the table from me at lunch, and told me all about CityCenter.  He didn’t know any of the same people I did from CityCenter. It was at those lunches that I suspected he was the Engineer who filed a complaint against me. I didn’t actually have confirmation that my suspicion was correct until September 2009 at the San Genarro Feast.  The Game was definitely on.

Don Stovner spent 75 days hounding me at Clearwire. When he brought CityCenter into the Game in July, I warned him off. I told him if he knew what was good for him he would simply drop it and move on. But he persisted. This man was not only inappropriate on the CityCenter Conference Call, he was down right hostile. I had no idea when I was at The Wynn, that he was the same Engineer. But listening to him at Lunch while we worked at Clearwire, I began to piece together that the hostile CityCenter Vendor and the hostile Wynn Network Engineer were one in the same. A consistent pattern of vitriol and hostility specifically directed at me.  He was so cock-sure that I was unaware of the Strategy Change. This was classic Masquerade.

The Strategy of the “change up” was one the Masquerade Game Masters and I had been at odds over in 1997. It was too obvious and would require nearly every Player to incorporate an unreasonable personality trait into their Game Characters – a naïveté that was not conducive to the natural progression of the Character within the Scenario. It was a dishonesty to the story line each Player was attempting to create.

For the first time since 1997, I understood what the Game Masters were trying to accomplish in the Game. The scarey part was that this was Real Life, not a Masquerade, and this man Don Stovner, was creating Scenarios right out of the White Wolf Strategy Guides.

I sat across the table from Don Stovner and listened to his stories. Every so often I could hear pieces of Patrick’s Game.  A Real Life Game, with Real Life consequences.  But instead of an Anonymous Guy, Don Stovner had chosen me to be his Target Player.  I continued to make nice, I was friendly. I went to lunch with him and I continued to listen. As long as I did not engage or take any action, the Game would remain stagnant – nothing more than a sketchy outline.

The letter from the State of Nevada came the last week in July 2009. I told Don Stovner that it came and what it said. The hostile Vendor from CityCenter, who was also the hostile Engineer from The Wynn, badgered me for several weeks asking repeatedly if I was going to file a Lawsuit.  I decided then, the last week of July 2009, that I would Play Don Stovner’s Game.

It was Late August 2009 when I realized Don Stovner was reading my blogs and tracking my online activity. I could not blog or document anything that was happening without his knowing. It was just like playing Masquerade. Just like Patrick’s Game.

During our time together in August, more often than not, the conversations were interrupted by his lack of education. I was constantly providing vocabulary definitions because he could not follow. I discovered early on that innuendo and word play were completely lost on him. In the long run, his lack of education and vocabulary would be to my benefit, but I would have to find creative ways to keep track of his Strategy.

I began using Twitter to mark significant revelations he made about his knowledge of my life.  The actual words were not important. The crux of the Tweets were the Date/Time Stamp.  Every major revelation he made, every action his family took, were documented behind word play.

You stole more than Paradise from me.
 You stole time from me.
 You stole time after I beat the unbeatable Game Scenario three separate times. And you come at me, a married man on camera at the Wynn, in my space at Clearwire. 


Within a few days of engaging Don Stovner in his Game, I learned he had access to the IRS Database through his mother, Carole Stovner Krieg. She was an IRS Tax Consultant, making her a Third Party Vendor with access to the IRS Third Party Database, which gave her and anyone who had her login Credentials unfettered access to anyone who had ever filed a Tax Return.
September 10, 2009 I knew Don Stovner had accessed my Military File and had accessed specific details which were only available after 2005, or later.  By then he had revealed CityCenter, Randy Foudray, Mexico, and data points which are not on my Public Record, but rather a part of my personal Family History.
It wasn’t until Summer 2010 that I found out how he gained access to my Military File. It was July 2010 that through Don, I became acquainted with Sandra Daggett and confirmed she was married to Steve Daggett, a Chief Petty Officer in the US Navy. That was when my Goal of Turning the Tables on my Stalker underwent a Strategy Change.

By the nature his job in the Navy, Don Stovner’s Brother-in-Law had access to my Military Records and he had access to my Military Medical Records. The fact that not even my World Renowned Oncologist at Cedars Sinai Comprehensive Cancer Center could retrieve my Military Records sent me into a rage that I still have not overcome. My Medical Treatment was done by hypothesis due to the inability of any of my Civilian Doctors obtaining my complete Medical History.  Yet this man, Steve Daggett, not only accessed my Military Medical Records, he gave the information to Don Stovner.

In fact, not even the Long Beach VA could access or retrieve my Military Medical Records. But Steve Daggett had them. He had them and he was sharing them with non-Medical Professionals. He gave them to my Stalker.

Yes, you read that correctly. Let me repeat it so you fully grasp the enormity of the situation:
Steve Daggett accessed Military Medical Records that not even the legendary Ocnologist Ronald Leuchter could obtain and gave them to my Stalker.



Spring 1998 – Patrick’s Game
The Game Master quietly slipped into the passenger seat of my Convertible Mustang.
“I need your help”, he said, “but you aren’t going to like it.”
“We aren’t using my house as a staging area”, I replied.
“No”, he said, “this is a little bit different. It’s not exactly Game related.”
“Ok”, I replied, “is it illegal?”
“I’m not sure if it is or not”, he said. “There might be elements that might be illegal, but nothing too serious.”
“Alright,” I said, “what is it?”
He looked at me from beneath his lavender spectacles. He had an affectation for dressing like the Anne Rice character Lestate, all black and velvet.
 “Well,” he said slowly, “Consider the Ultimate Game.  What if we created a scenario which put a guy in a vulnerable position, which required him to survive?”
 “How would you do that?” I asked. “Assuming the guy is a Gamer, and assuming he is a good player, he will recognize the Scenario and simply counter the Play or withdraw all together. Either way, the Scenario will back fire on you.”
“No,” he said. “This is Real Life, not LARP. There are no characters only ourselves.”
“I don’t understand.” I said.
“Ok,” he started to get excited and his words came faster, less measured. “We spend hours making up unbelievable crap in a Game that is complete fiction.  What if we created a Game that is completely Real? We tell the guy that we are going to a Party. We get three or four of us to take him down to Tijuana for a night of drinking. We get him drunk, take his wallet so that he has no money and no ID. We take his shoes and shirt and leave him with his pants. We dump him on a street corner and we leave.  If he makes it back alive he can talk all the shit he wants about being The Best Gamer.”
“Uh,” I hesitated. “I think your Scenario needs more work. It’s not feasible the way you just outlined.”
He sat up straight and became indignant.
“What!” he argued, “It’s a fantastic outline. Of course it will work!”
“Wait a minute Patrick,” I said. “You are talking about affecting a person’s life. First, even if he doesn’t get picked up by the Mexican Police, the odds of making it out of Tijuana alive are very low. Then he has to cross the border without ID, or shoes, or transportation. You are talking about destroying a man for no other reason than bragging rights. And what about you getting caught? Have you thought about the consequences of the guy actually making it home?”
We had arrived at his house and I pulled into the driveway. I put the car in park and sat back to look at him.
“You are outlining a strategy where you are assuming you maintain control. The moment you dump this guy on the street corner, you relinquish all control and Real Life variables come into play. If he dies, Law Enforcement will absolutely trace him back to you. This little hypothetical situation is simply not feasible.”
“Never mind.” He grumbled as he opened the passenger side door. “I’ll find someone else to work the Strategy.”
“Ok,” I said. “Good Luck”
He got out of the car, then bent down to peer at me once again from behind his lavender lenses.
“Don’t tell anyone about this. You’ll ruin my Game.”
“I promise, Patrick. This will be our little secret.”
This is the first time in 16 years I have written about Patrick’s Game.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Progression of Lies

This is the Don Stovner I met at the Wynn in June 2008 and then worked with from June 2009 through January 2010.  This is the man who, after my troubles with the Applications Analyst on the Food & Beverage Team at the Wynn, caused me the most problems with Network Engineering Projects. The photo at the left was taken in mid July 2009, while we both worked for Clearwire in Las Vegas, at a weekday lunch break from our projects.  Don made an effort to reconcile the events at the Wynn and to amend our professional relationship.  We did not work in the same departments or for the same management.  We had no reason to interact while at work other than to go to lunch. It should be noted, that had the Wynn IT shop been more professional, had they employed proper management of their staff, the affair between Don & I would have started in 2008 when he went to the Wynn, during the period he sent his wife to Russia the late Summer and Early Fall of 2008.  However, because I had seen

Embracing Creepy

Embracing Creepy Stalking is just plain creepy.  It just is.  A weird guy who takes an interest in a woman he’s never met, a girl who has no idea he even exists.  Sometimes it starts with “Blog Stalking”, cruising an interesting blog over and over, or visiting a Discussion Forum to read a girl’s posts, hitting refresh as neurotically as clicking a pen.  But, when stalking moves from watching through the blue glow of the monitor to real life watching through the living room window,  it is the cruelty of stalking that strikes me the most.  The silent Watcher has no empathy for his Victim.  He just sits and watches as events and occurrences unfold.  No different than the detached coldness of the Engineer monitoring a Network. This notion of the emotionally removed Stalker was taking up room in my head when Kevin Kelleher’s blog on the last day of Web 2.0 Summit 2011 was served up on the web page I was reading.  I didn’t see the blog until 5 days later, but it struck a chord noneth

The Art of Putting Truth in a Lie

As I walked out the door that warm Tuesday night in August, I looked back over the thresh hold at him as he stood in the small kitchen in the very little house.  The way he held his jaw in profile in the late evening shadows, he looked for a moment like the Audio Thief.  They taste the same.  They smell the same.  They even screw the same.  “If” was the only thing going though my mind as I caught a glimpse of the Audio Thief out of the corner of my eye. you could’ve had me Right there beside you you could’ve had me boy CONTINUE READING - PATREON - THE ART OF PUTTING TRUTH IN A LIE