Skip to main content

DOXing as Warfare

I never considered what I am doing to Don Stovner “DOXing”.  In my mind, it is simply playing the game he started, by following the Rules as he changes them.  You know, Goose & Gander

He went out of his way to track down intimately personal information about me, dating back to the Pre-Internet Age and claimed that it was “technically legal” because he used Publically Available Information.  Well…. I’m just making this information public.  Just like he did.

"DOXing", is  hacker slang for publishing someone's personal information in order to intimidate or punish them.

DOXing is a technique of tracing someone or gather information about an individual using sources on the internet. Its name is derived from “Documents” or “Docx”. DOXing method is based purely on the ability of the hacker to recognize valuable information about his target and use this information to his benefit. It is also based around the idea that, “The more you know about your target, the easier it will be to find his or her flaws

Hearing the term “DOXing” in the media is almost like fingernails on a chaulk board.  Since the beginning, the Internet Generation has had an unwritten agreement that even though we know, or could easily find out who Beachwitch really is, we don’t.

Recent Example in the News of DOXing-

"A now-deleted tumblr, predditors, linked reddit usernames to real people. One user, for example, had the same username on reddit.com and music site last.fm, and the last.fm profile contained a link to his Facebook page. Cross-referencing comments about his age, university and hometown allowed the connection to be confirmed, and meant that the blog could put a name and a face to [a reddit username]
   ***
In fact, the author of Predditors is simply stringing together information available on public profiles posted by the users.
     ***
"They do it because they think they're safe and doing this to women won't result in any form of retaliation,"


I am reading various reactions to the national DOXing of Michael Brutsch aka Violent_Acrez, and there are so many people who are deeply offended by the public outing.  Somehow it’s ok for men like Brutsch and Stovner to stalk women they don’t know, collect information, photos, anything they can get their hands on, because it’s “technically legal”. Yet, even though what Adrian Chen did and what I am doing is also “technically legal”, and it is EXACTLY what Brutsch and Stovner did to their victims, it is somehow morally reprehensible:

“DOXing isn’t okay because you’re publishing someone’s personal information online, purposely creating an angry vigilante mob, and throwing them to the wolves.” 
GeekWire Commentary

There is this collective mind set that if someone does something to you that is “technically legal”, you as the victim are required to sit back and take it.  Fighting back, or in this case, providing Brutsch and Stovner a taste of their own medicine, is not only wrong, it is morally wrong.  The Social Norms are out of whack here.  What you see as Internet Vigilantism, I see as a leveling of the playing field.

“You also chose to DOX his whole Family.  What was his wife guilty of?” 
GeekWire Commentary

Brutsch’s wife and Stovner’s wife, in fact both of their Families and Friends, became collateral damage when these men made active decisions to harass, troll, DOX and otherwise make life difficult for their victims.  Adrien Chen, nor I, had any part in the decisions these Jack Asses made.  They opened themselves and their families up to risk, ridicule and public shaming.  They truly believed their victims would go away quietly to cry in an obscure corner of the Internet, shamed, and humiliated.  Brutsch and Stovner never had any fear of reprisals because for so many years, there hasn’t been any consequence to their actions.

And then I came along.

When Stovner was rattling off my ancient and personal history for everyone to hear, making me the topic of conversation in nearly all our social interactions in the Summer of 2009, it was startling and felt out of context.  I could never put my finger on why it felt out of context, which is why I played along.  The only way I would ever know the truth was to keep listening.

Then I read Adrien Chen’s article on Unmasking Reddit’s ViolentAcrez

Suddenly it all made sense.  Stovner spent the Summer of 2009 “publishing” his work.  Unlike the average Internet Troll, Stovner brought his work to the feet of his victim.  Unlike the average hacker who must wait any number of cycles for his victim to provide the desired reaction to the publishing of personal information on a forum or website, Stovner received immediate response, in real time, live streaming in HD.

This blog has been dormant for about a year now, no new posts. So, had I not received an anonymous email six weeks ago, I probably would not have been thinking about all of this.  There is the distinct possibility that had I not received that email, I may have skipped any publications this holiday season.  And then of course there was Adrien Chen’s masterpiece and the resulting national media conversation behind DOXing and Private versus Public Information. 

I have a list of names, provided to me by Don Stovner (remember, the listening part).  These are people who, according to Stovner, assisted him and made it possible for him to continue to stalk me.  Think of these people as you would the Administrators of Reddit – they know there is a person misbehaving, and because he is their buddy, pal and friend, they look the other way or implement policies which facilitate their buddy’s bad behavior. 

Oh, did I mention this list of names consists of CIO’s, CTO’s,SVP’s, VP’s and Corporate Directors of Publicly Held Companies (aka Wall Street)?  

This blog entry is about “DOXing”, the act of publishing an individual’s personal information collected from Publically Available Internet portals and Social Networks.  You can figure out what’s going to happen next.  How’s that LinkedIn Account workin’ for ya?

I don’t want anyone to get the idea that this entry or the blog in general is in any way a self-justification.  I am simply providing the courtesy of a heads up.  
You should be grateful, a hacker or a Troll would never be so kind as to give you a heads up,
“Hey dude, I’m DOXing you!”





Joo ph0und M3H oN 73H 81G l4N, 5o 73H 81G l4n W1ll 83 0uR 8477L3gRound
8r1Ng 17 574lk3R 8O1


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Progression of Lies

This is the Don Stovner I met at the Wynn in June 2008 and then worked with from June 2009 through January 2010.  This is the man who, after my troubles with the Applications Analyst on the Food & Beverage Team at the Wynn, caused me the most problems with Network Engineering Projects. The photo at the left was taken in mid July 2009, while we both worked for Clearwire in Las Vegas, at a weekday lunch break from our projects.  Don made an effort to reconcile the events at the Wynn and to amend our professional relationship.  We did not work in the same departments or for the same management.  We had no reason to interact while at work other than to go to lunch. It should be noted, that had the Wynn IT shop been more professional, had they employed proper management of their staff, the affair between Don & I would have started in 2008 when he went to the Wynn, during the period he sent his wife to Russia the late Summer and Early Fall of 2008.  However, because I had seen

Embracing Creepy

Embracing Creepy Stalking is just plain creepy.  It just is.  A weird guy who takes an interest in a woman he’s never met, a girl who has no idea he even exists.  Sometimes it starts with “Blog Stalking”, cruising an interesting blog over and over, or visiting a Discussion Forum to read a girl’s posts, hitting refresh as neurotically as clicking a pen.  But, when stalking moves from watching through the blue glow of the monitor to real life watching through the living room window,  it is the cruelty of stalking that strikes me the most.  The silent Watcher has no empathy for his Victim.  He just sits and watches as events and occurrences unfold.  No different than the detached coldness of the Engineer monitoring a Network. This notion of the emotionally removed Stalker was taking up room in my head when Kevin Kelleher’s blog on the last day of Web 2.0 Summit 2011 was served up on the web page I was reading.  I didn’t see the blog until 5 days later, but it struck a chord noneth

December 2013

December 2013 The reality was, that by December 2006 , I was already committed to the move to Las Vegas because of The Audio Thief and his antics that previous June & July.  I realized that despite my denial, I was going there to Hunt Him Down.   February 2007,  As I sat in the living room overlooking the City Lights, I was finally able to process what the Audio Thief had said in the Theme Room at Bonnie Springs Ranch  over the July 4th Holiday seven months earlier.  (... are you scared yet ...)  That his Family told him about the Dead Flowers,  "you know, the Dead Flowers left on my Doorstep." For the first time, I was presented with a Free Pass to be someone I wasn't without consequence My act of violence would tear at the tissue of the mind, and rip at the flesh of memory. Certainly, it would strike closer than the doorstep of an entry never used. The Stalking began, or rather followed me to Las Vegas, by November 2007.  Right on schedule I got an